If you have acne scars but in mild level, you may want to try natural remedy first. It includes coconut oil for acne scars treatment. There are more popular remedies such as lemon juice or baking soda. However, coconut oil is hailed because of its natural benefits for skin condition. Despite its seemingly simple look, coconut oil is the best way to get rid of acne scars if you aim for both blemish-free and healthy skin. In addition, if you have certain skin problems such as sensitive skin, or if you are already in your 40s and want to keep the skin healthy, coconut oil can be your solution.
Image Coconut Oil for Acne Scars
Coconut Oil for Acne Scars Benefits
Coconut oil is not only treating scars, but also protecting the acne-prone skin in general thanks to various active ingredients. There are several coconut oil benefits for acne scars and skin’s health. They include:
- Having cooling, soothing effect. Coconut oil is good to sooth the signs of inflammations on skin, especially caused by sensitive, acne-prone condition. Apply it when you experience redness or mild inflamed sensation.
- Having natural antioxidants. Coconut oil contains a lot of antioxidants and even stops oxidation process. This helps your skin to grow new skin cells and cover the scars. Since free radicals are among the roots of acne, antioxidants can also prevent them to wreak havoc on your body and skin.
- Rich in vitamins and essential amino acids. Coconut oil for acne scars is recommended because it contains vitamin E, K, capric acid, and caprylic acid. All of them are important elements to encourage the growth of new skin cells and make the acne scars less noticeable.
- Encouraging collagen production. Coconut oil’s active ingredients encourage your skin to produce more collagen, which makes the skin smooth and flexible. This is great to treat post-acne skin that is usually rough.
- Reducing uneven skin tone. Coconut oil helps reducing uneven skin tone that often happens after acne, especially if there are prominent scars.
Coconut oil for acne scars can also be consumed orally. You can mix in your cup of tea or directly using teaspoon. Coconut oil can help increasing circulation and digestive health, resulting in better skin condition.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Acne Scars
There are several ways you can use coconut oil as acne scar home remedy. The following are the easy methods you can immediately try.
Coconut Oil and Rose Water
Diluting coconut oil with rose water will smooth the skin and reduce the dried look. Simply mix ½ tablespoon of rose water and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a clean container. Mix them well, and use the mixture to massage the scarred area. Leave it for 10-15 minutes before washing it.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Overnight
If you have extra virgin coconut oil at home, you do not need to mix it with anything else. Simply clean your face and with clean finger. Massage extra virgin coconut oil on the problematic area. You can leave it for 15 minutes, or just leave it overnight (apply the oil before bed) if you have more severe scar problem. Wash your face with warm water followed with cold water afterward.
Coconut Oil Scrub with Brown Sugar
Natural scrub is great to remove dead skin cells and make the scars less noticeable. Simply mix ½ tablespoon of rough brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to create a paste. Rub the problematic area with your clean finger for several minutes. Leave the paste there for 10 minutes before washing your face.
Also read: Best Scar Cream Products for Acne
Using coconut oil for acne scars is a great way to reduce imperfections while keeping your skin smooth and healthy, without too many chemical products.