When you are pregnant, knowing how to get rid of acne scars at home becomes one of your main concerns, since acne is a common effect of hormonal changes during pregnancy. While not all women experience acne, there are many instances when skin becomes dotted with pimples, and the dark scars can remain even after the remaining acne has disappeared. Some pregnant women may ask does Mederma work on acne scars, but if it (or any other home treatment product) doesn’t, what should they do? And this doesn’t mention other conditions like stretch mark and melasma, which causes discoloration on the skin.
Dealing with acne and resulting acne scars can be hard if you are pregnant, since you are off-limit to certain products such as hormonal medications. However, there are ways to reduce and treat acne scars if you are pregnant, even without risky methods.
Get Rid of Acne Scars if You Are Pregnant
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars at Home when Pregnant
The first thing you need to know about treating acne scars during pregnancy is by avoiding certain medications, supplements and ingredients, as they can aggravate your acne and make the scars worse. Here are things you should avoid during and right after pregnancy if you develop acne:
- Hydroquinone. This is a popular active ingredient to return the skin’s natural tone and lighten scars. However, pregnant women must avoid this active ingredient because it can cause irritation and discoloration, especially for women with darker skin tones. In addition, hydroquinone has been banned in various countries because it is suspected to cause cancer.
- Vitamin E supplement. Pregnant women should get vitamin E from balanced diet, but consuming extra vitamin E in the form of supplement will not reduce the scars. In fact, consuming everything in excessive amount during pregnancy is never good.
- Anything with extra fragrances. Skincare products that have extra fragrances such as soap and lotion can aggravate the acne and cause deep scars. Pregnancy can make the skin extra sensitive, so make sure you avoid any products that contain extra fragrance.
- Kojic acid. Kojic acid is not recommended for pregnant women, since it can cause dermatitis from heightened skin sensitivity and allergy risk.
- Foods that contain additives. Processed foods such as sausages, processed meat and canned foods contain additives that can wreak havoc to your skin, especially if you are pregnant. Plus, they are not good for your body.
- Hormonal medications. Some hormonal medications can be consumed to reduce acne scars, but pregnant women are not allowed to use any of these medications.
After knowing what you should avoid, you can start choosing the best home acne scars treatment that is safe and convenient.
Home Acne Scar Treatment You Can Try during Pregnancy
Natural treatments such as various masks and paste from natural ingredients are great for pregnant women. Turmeric paste made of turmeric powder and cream, oatmeal and honey mask, tea tree oil, lemon juice and papaya paste are common solutions for acne and acne marks, especially for the mild acne scar case. They are natural, easy to get, and you can make them using various skincare recipes.
Other great sources of acne scar treatment for pregnant women are products made of vitamin C or licorice extract, which has well-known brightening effect. These products are safer for pregnant women, and you can get them at various drugstores or minimarkets. Increase the efficacy of these products with drinking enough water, eating nutritious foods, and doing light exercises to keep the circulation running and acne scars healing faster.
When you are pregnant and have acne, knowing how to get rid of acne scars at home is important to keep the skin healthy without any health risks.