There are times when home remedies or drugstore products are unable to remove acne scars. You may need something like microdermabrasion acne scars to solve the problem. Microdermabrasion is a harsher method than home remedies and cheap scar cream. Nonetheless, the result is definitely better. Microdermabrasion is basically how to get rid of acne scars overnight, making them instantly faded. However, since the method uses special equipment, you need to understand about its benefits and side effects.
Microdermabrasion Acne Scars: Methods and Benefits
Some people confuse microdermabrasion with dermabrasion. These two methods have the same principles, the execution and goals are different. Dermabrasion method means “sanding” the skin surface using special equipment, usually done by dermatologist, in order to remove imperfections such as deep acne scars, burn marks, and mole. However, microdermabrasion is considered a “softer” method, and only works on subtle acne scars, stretch marks, and fine wrinkles.
In microdermabrasion, the dermatologist uses small exfoliation crystals, sprayed on the skin until the skin surface is scraped off. Unlike demabrasion, microdermabrasion only creates subtle changes.On the bright side, this is a great treatment if you have darker skin (dermabrasion causes discoloration on darker skin).There are several microdermabrasion benefits. They include the following:
- It erases acne scars without too much visible effects. Microdermabrasion is great for light scars that nevertheless are annoying. You can see the scars fade almost instantly, but there are only minimum visible effects. While dermabrasion causes skin to redden and even irritated, microdermabrasion only causes slight pinkish tone after treatment. There is also low risk of irritation.
- Skin only needs little time to heal. Some acne scar treatments require people to keep their skin protected for days and even weeks. This can be inconvenient for those who only have little treatment time, or if they are super busy. After microdermabrasion acne scars, you have 24 hours before your skin returns to its normal, healthy tone. You also do not need any aesthetic procedure or surgery. This proces really saves your time and reduces visible side effects on the face.
- You do not need anesthetic. Because microdermabrasion is softer and less aggressive than dermabrasion, dermatologists do not need anesthetic on you. You also do not need medication to relax before the procedure like what the doctors usually do before dermabrasion.
- You can get rejuvenating effect. Microdermabrasion acne scars is not just for removing imperfections. This method also scrapes off dead skin cells and improves circulations, giving rejuvenating effect for the skin. After treatment, you will see that your skin becomes smoother and brighter.
With microdermabrasion, you can get instant result in removing acne scars without being subjected to harsh method. However, there are some side effects and downsides you need to know about this method.
Microdermabrasion Side Effects and Downsides
Like any other skin treatment methods, microdermabrasion also has downsides and side effects. Here are several microdermabrasion side effects you need to know:
- Eye irritation. Microdermabrasion uses tiny crystals being sprayed in high speed, so there is risk of getting these tiny particles in your eyes, causing itchiness and irritation. You may want to wear eye protection when enduring this procedure, especially if it takes a long time.
- Slight discoloration. After-treatment effect may include slight discoloration, but the discoloration does not stay as long as dermabrasion method. However, in some cases, your skin may need more than 24 hours to heal. Before your skin goes back to normal, you cannot put any makeup or use certain skincare products.
- Repeated procedures. Microdermabrasion acne scars is a subtle, less aggressive method. Therefore, you may need to visit the doctor repeatedly to get the intended result. This means extra money to spend, because microdermarasion can be quite costly.
- More serious side effects on people with sensitive skin.If you have sensitive skin, you may experience severe side effects, such as sensation like you experience windburn or sunburn. You can also experience slight tingling feeling or itchiness. These will go away after a day or so. However, it is still a good idea to talk with your doctor before undergoing the procedure.
Make sure to consider all the benefits and side effects of microdermabrasion before you undergo the procedure, including the possible cost you need to spend.
In short, microdermabrasion is a good procedure if you need to remove acne scars fast. It also does not leave severe side effects.Overall, it is a better procedure for people with darker skin tone. However, you must remember that this method is not suitable for more severe acne scars. Discuss with your doctor about benefits and side effects of microdermabrasion acne scars before you actually undergo the procedure.